Thursday, March 3, 2011

Worry to Prayer

Today Dean and I went to our doctor's appointment.  We were expecting an easy appointment, as the others had been, but were surprised to hear the words "cyst on the brain."  My heart immediately began to race as I tried to soak in his words of comfort.  Dr. Clayton even made us repeat that there is nothing to worry about and in the 100's of ultrasounds he has reviewed in his career, nothing negative has come out it.  The cysts usually dissolve during the 3rd trimester and many adults are living now with these cysts.  It is part of the extra anxiety that can be caused by more detailed technology.

So, we are waiting for insurance to approve another ultrasound where a specialist will look at the cyst.  In the waiting we pray that the cyst will dissolve and the Lord will protect our little girl. 

"Don't worry."  Is this possible as a mom?  I have already spent much time worrying.  I usually choose to dwell in this worry before offering it to God in prayer.  I feel like I must ponder each detail and think it through before I can let it go.  I am going to challenge myself to turn my thoughts more quickly to Him!

A main way to do this is to stay away from the internet.  I decided to look at one medical website so I could know the facts and name.  It reiterates what my doctor has already said.  If you are curious, you may read below as well.

So join us in prayer for little Bee and the process of growth Dean and I will experience as parents already!

What is a choroid plexus cyst?
The choroid plexus is the area of the brain that makes the spinal fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal
cord. There are two of these areas in the brain, one on either side. This is not an area of the brain that is
involved in thinking.
Once in a while a cyst forms inside the choroid plexus and is called a “choroid plexus cyst” or a “CP
cyst”. Cysts can be found on one side or on both sides and they come in many different sizes.
A choroid plexus cyst does NOT cause learning problems or mental retardation and are not cancer.
Although it can be scary to hear the two words “cyst” and “brain” in the same sentence, these cysts are
not known to cause any problems for a baby.
How common are these?
Choroid plexus cysts are seen in approximately 1% (1 in 100) of all second or third trimester ultrasounds.
They usually disappear during the third trimester but they don’t always. It doesn’t make any difference if
they disappear or not. These cysts can also be found in adult brains and go unnoticed during our lifetime.
Why is this important?
If mothers have other risk factors, a choroid plexus cyst may suggest that the baby has a higher chance of
having a chromosome change such as Trisomy 18. In cases like this, more testing will be offered to you.
Trisomy 18 is a very serious medical condition caused by an extra copy of chromosome #18. Most babies
born with Trisomy 18 cannot survive long term.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow. I'll definitely be praying. No matter how mild it may sound, it's still not what you expect to hear! Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I will definitely be praying for baby Bee. Its certainly not what you want to here and so hard when there is "nothing" you can do but take care of yourself and pray for the baby (that is everything). As much as it will provide comfort, there are a couple of friends of mine who have heard similar things during an ultrasound and its has turned out to be nothing. still, not what you want to hear. Thinking of you and Dean and of course baby Bee.

    ReplyDelete